1983 VW T25 Westfalia 2WD Adventure Camper with Subaru 3.0 Conversion
PRICE: £21500 ono
Location: Glasgow, UK.
I have owned this van for 5 years and have gradually modified and improved it at considerable expense. The result is a bus with modern driving characteristics, reliability, power, and the “cool” factor of a classic VW.
Originally a 2.0 air-cooled engine was fitted, but even with twin Dellorto cars it became clear that there was insufficient power to keep up with modern traffic. I considered a 2.0 Subaru engine initially, but research concluded that the extra power and refinement of the flat six boxer engine would be optimal. I was lucky to discover an engine with only 7000 miles powering a Subaru Outback at a Subaru specialist in Chesterfield, and snapped that up for the conversion.
All conversion and mechanical work has been done professionally by Robert McKenna at V-Worx in Ayr. The van is completely rust free, and everything works as it should. It is left hand drive, as all genuine Westies of this vintage are.
A summary of the work done follows:
- Subaru 3.0 H6 engine (208bhp), with custom fabricated and powder coated engine support bars, header tank, and custom stainless steel exhaust.
- The van is serviced annually, with oil and filter changes performed regardless of mileage, which averages 2000 miles per year.
- New radiator and piping to convert to water cooled configuration.
- New petrol tank and pipework.
- TY756 6-speed gearbox sourced from a low mileage Subaru 2.0tdi with a 4.44 final drive ratio, and flipped with Subaru gears components.
- Larger diameter front disc brakes, and rear disc conversion. A more powerful servo and T4 brake system has been installed.
- 1.5″ GoWesty lift springs and new dampers from CVC. New ball joints and all worn suspension bushes replaced.
- 15 inch Mefro steel wheels from CVC with all-terrain tyres
- Westfalia towbar with electrics.
- New half shafts and CV joints.
- Electric power steering conversion by Lite-Steer.
- Externally, there is no rust whatsoever. The vulnerable parts have been professionally rust proofed by Preserve and Protect in Johnstone. Wheel arch liners and VW mud flaps have been fitted.
- Syncro truck wing mirrors have been fitted to replace the inadequate stock mirrors.
- Seating for five. Sleeps 4 people.
- 3-way Electrolux fridge (works on Lpg, 12v, or mains power). I replaced the noisy original cooling fan with a virtually silent computer fan.
- Propex Lpg powered blown-air interior heating.
- CVC pop-top lift assist struts, to allow effortless elevation even with load bars fitted.
- Artificial rain gutters fitted to pop-top and Thule bars included.
- 270 Fiamma F35 Pro pull-out awning included in sale (removed for winter)
- Vango Airbeam driveway awning included in sale.
- Mains leads, and levelling blocks included. CVC pop-top thermal wrap, and window thermal blinds included.
- Alpine stereo with Bluetooth hands free calling.
- CVC Solar powered extractor fan in skylight.